Osnaburg Historical Society
Mapleton Evangelical Lutheran Church
The white frame building sits on a small hill surrounded by the Osnaburg Township Cemetery.
The original Congregation was formed about 1840 and met in a log schoolhouse until the first church was erected in 1855. The current building dates from 1891. It was presented to the OHS in 1977 when the congregation no longer warranted a church that size. Since that time the building has served as a meeting place and currently houses Museum items from the community. The grave of Jacob Shearer the only Revolutionary War Soldier to be buried in Osnaburg Township is located in the cemetery.
Among the items available for viewing at this location is a US Mail horse-drawn buggy and a many military mementos. There is an 1882 hymnal, a working crank Victrola, an Osnaburg band drum and uniform and much more.
On June 9, 2013, the Osnaburg Historical Society celebrated the life of Osnaburg's only American Revolutionary War Soldier buried in Osnaburg Twp. Pvt. Jacob Shearer York Co. Militia 1744-1823
The Daughter's of the American Revolutionary War, General Daniel Hahn, and The American Revolutionary war Reenactment Group joined us, Heidi Freshour gave the welcome, and Jim Good gave the introduction of the Shearer Family. The DAR Regent from the Canton Chapter read a poem, and gave the dedication of the plaque which went on Jacob's new tombstone. Reverend Clark Kandel gave the Benediction and we adjourned with refreshments.
It was a wonderful day to honor one of Osnaburg Twp.'s first and only American Revolutionary Soldier.
JACOB SHEARER DAY
JUNE 9, 2013